So I think the last time I *really* updated this blog on a regular basis was prior to SXSW.
In a nutshell — well, in short status updates — here’s what I’ve been up to:
- Had a great time at SXSW. Well, the last two days at least.
- Had an awesome ChevySXSW road trip experience, despite all of the scoring drama.
- Made some cool friends with other ChevySX teams. Looking forward to seeing them again at BlogWorldLA.
- Went on an awesome run around Lady Bird Lake with Barce. It was my longest run to that date!
- Came back to LA with a landslide of opportunities that availed themselves to me.
- Took on two more-consistent-than-usual consulting gigs that have invaded my usually sacred daytime but have enjoyed every minute of it.
- Planned the Power Walk for Dress for Success. The event was met with great reception!
- Ran my first consistent 10-miler from home to Santa Monica. It was an awesome experience.
- Read two awesome books by Dean Karnazes — Ultramarathon Man and 50/50. I highly recommend them for runners!
- Have gotten a handful of friends to start using Runkeeper!
- Have been taking my vitamins on a consistent basis. (Believe me, that’s something worth mentioning.)
- Finally saw my parents again for the first time since February at my event on Saturday.
- Ran my best 10K ever at the Santa Monica Classic (today!), despite having to run backwards for a bit to retrieve my dropped keys.
- Got my brain/life organized with Evernote…it was about time I downloaded my brain into something else.
- Finally got an eye exam. Will be scheduling acupuncture treatment, dentist appointment, etc this week. I’ve come to terms that I’m not going back to Thailand anytime soon to get my health stuff taken care of.
- My running has helped me discern when I’m genuinely feeling a certain way versus when I’m bullshitting myself.
- Been doing a lot more reading now that I’ve subbed out driving on weekdays with riding the Metro.
- Shot a fun, faux short film over a weekend. It’ll probably live on a hard drive forever.
- I’ve cycled through two pairs of running shoes…about to buy my third.
- Racing in the Triple Crown series over the next two months. Really excited!
- Realized that most women’s magazines are trash. Swapped out for Runners World and it’s changed my perspective on a lot of things.
- Went to a TOMS sample sale and scored three new pairs of shoes.
- Decided that buying jeans were not worth the hassle. Resolved to wear leggings, dresses, and skirts for all eternity.
- Learned to equate running with “me time” and to make it non-negotiable appointments in my calendar.
- Put together my bucket list and have been planning on how to check the items off.
- Instead of focusing on my insecurities I’m trying to really focus on helping other people. Fretting about things I’ll never come around to is pretty worthless, whereas helping other people reach their goals is pretty awesome.
- Taking a leave of absence from school for a bit while I get re-situated with my schedule. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. School wasn’t particularly difficult…just tedious. And, since I loathe tedious work, I found myself stressed out for no reason.
- Signed up for the Disneyland half marathon with Jon, a friend from the ChevySX campaign. Super excited to see him again!
- Looking forward to the 15K in Santa Barbara on July 4th. Not sure if anyone will accompany me so I’m anticipating some me-time. I should start looking for fireworks shows, hotel, etc.
- Been debating the Athens marathon in November. The only deterrence is cost at this point. It seems like it’d be well worth it! Not sure why I keep tiptoeing around the decision. I think the fact that the word “marathon” is in it probably has something to do with it.
- Haven’t spent a lot of time catching up with old friends. Been spending more time making new friends instead. I’m hitting ‘refresh’ on the ole’ go-to friend list.
- “A woman is like a tea bag…you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.”
- Been trying to see how many times/ways I can get away with random acts of kindness.
- Trying to spend less time working and more time living, even if it means cutting down or eliminating some of my material comforts…which, I must say, I’ve whittled down quite a bit over the course of the last 6 months.
- Clearly traded my blogging habit for a running habit and feels much healthier.
- Lost about 15 lbs. and 4 dress sizes. Found myself.
#1: Start line at the LA Big5K at Dodger Stadium…my first 5K run ever!
#2: Start line at Victory for Victims at Lake Balboa…my first 10K.
#3: Runners flying colors to raise awareness of the Wounded Warrior Project at the Santa Monica Classic. Very inspirational!
#4: The happiest I’ve looked in a long time. Was taken right before my first 10K run. Decided to throw up the #isoasian sign.
#5: Friends from Border Stylo that joined me at the power walk.
#6: Kaylee and Shant at the TOMS sample sale. Uber windy!
That’s all for now. More soon!