I’ve recently decided to pursue a 70.3, a half Ironman. (Well, technically the Ironman is a branded event and I am not actually attending an Ironman race, but it is the same race but from a different company. Sorry, that’s my marketing background talking.)
There’s going to be lots of planning involved. For me, that’s the fun part!
Some things I need to work on:
- Swimming endurance: I have very little of it. To address this I will attend a swimming boot camp class 2-3x a week.
- Swimming consistency: My swimming is quite irregular. To address this I will not only enroll in a swimming boot camp but also go to the pool 2x a week on weekday mornings, for a total of 4-5x per week swimming.
- Open water swimming practice: I’ve only done this twice (once during my last sprint triathlon). To address this I will aim to substitute two weekly swim sessions at the pool with the beginning ocean swimmers meetup group here in LA.
- Biking consistency: I need to ride more often and for longer periods of time. To address this I will bike at the gym during the weekdays when I can’t make it out too far. I’ll have one long ride on weekends, most likely after my group run on Saturday mornings.
- Running: I’ve been sidelined with injuries and illness which have both prevented me from being consistent with my long weekend runs. I need to be more mindful of stretching, icing, cooling down, nutrition, and rest so that these problems do not become too large to handle.
- Month 1: November 2011 – Swimming proficiency, run Athens Classic Marathon
- Month 2: December 2011 – Swimming proficiency, cycling emphasis
- Month 3: January 2012 – Swimming proficiency, running emphasis
- Month 4: February 2012 – Swimming proficiency, running emphasis
- Month 5: March 2012 – Swimming proficiency, run LA Marathon
- Month 6: April 2012 – Swimming proficiency, cycling emphasis
- Month 7: May 2012 – Compete in an Olympic-distance triathlon
- Month 8: June 2012 – Open water swimming endurance emphasis, cycle, run
- Month 9: July 2012 – Open water swimming endurance emphasis, cycle, run
- Month 10: August 2012 – Open water swimming endurance emphasis, cycle, run
- Month 11: September 2012 – Peak training month(s)
- Month 12: October 2012 – Peak training month (s)
- Month 13: November 2012 – Taper, Race