The Training Day That Tested My Patience

Uhm…what a day. It wasn’t a particularly busy or difficult day by any stretch of the imagination, but it certainly tested my patience.

Being happy doesn’t mean everything is perfect. It means you have decided to look beyond the imperfections.

Having been exhausted from the night before (mostly emotionally), I tried to face Monday as a new day. My alarm was set for 6am so that I could get some design work done in the early mornings and then head out for my make-up run from the day before. I slept, and I slept, and 6am became 6:10, which then became 6:20…until yeah, you guessed it, it was late-o-clock. I hurried through as much of my design work as possible, and skipped my run. I packed in a hurry for the day’s worth of training ahead, now with a run to stack into my lunch hour. I was also late for my doctor’s appointment in the morning, so that may have set the tone for the rest of the day.

I got in to work without a hitch and hustle until the lunch hour. By the time 2 o’clock rolled around I was really looking forward to my afternoon run. There were a few tough design challenges to wrestle through at work and the brain break was welcomed. That, and the sun was shining ever so brightly today and it would’ve just been nice to run around in downtown Seattle. After 2:15 or so I grabbed my bag and headed down to the locker room, getting everything ready until I unpacked my bag to find that I was missing one crucial ingredient to my afternoon masterpiece. I left my running tights at home.


I headed back to the office, ate lunch while working at my desk, and headed out a little before six to squeeze in a run before swim. During the run, I felt fine. A little thirsty, because I left my water bottle at home, but that was it. Once I got into the pool though, it was a whole other story. Maybe it was because of the speed drills, or maybe because it was from the stress but regardless, I got sick — AGAIN — in the pool. Not once, twice, but three times. Most of the time I feel sick in the pool and it blows. I don’t want to be destined to eating gels for breakfast and lunch but my stomach is incredibly sensitive. I guess I need to keep trying different foods and logging what makes me feel bad vs. what makes me feel good, and maybe then I’ll have a better sense of what sets me off.

Regardless…kind of a crappy day of training. Maybe tomorrow will be better. I have strength training in the morning, followed by a 1:15 bike ride, and hopefully a mid-day run. I’ll try not to re-arrange anything but no promises!

Any tips on being patient while training for the hardest race of your life? I’m all ears!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.